The president of a country stands as the head of the country. But we all know that the head cannot function well without the support of the neck. The first lady stands as the neck, she helps to contribute to the success of her husband.
1. Flora Azikiwe: Flora Azikiwe was the wife of the first indigenous president of Nigeria, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. His reign began from the day Nigeria gained her independence in October 1st 1960 and it ended on the 15th of January 1966. During his reign, his wife was always very supportive, she was always helping him.
2. Victoria Aguiyi Ironsi: General J.T.U Aguiyi Ironsi was the first military head of state. He ruled the country for only six months. His reign started from on the 15th of July to the 29th of July 1966. His beautiful wife Victoria Aguiyi Ironsi was a very good woman, she was very supportive.
3. Ajoke Mohammed: The third military head of state was General Murtala Mohammed. He ruled Nigeria From the 29th of July 1975 to the 13th of February 1976. His wife Ajoke Mohammed was always helpful at that time.
4. Esther Oluremi Obasanjo: The fourth military head of state was General Olusegun Obasanjo. He ruled from 1976 to 1979 before he handed power over to a civilian ruler. While he was still in power, he received a lot of support from his wife.
5. Shehu Shagari: During the reign of Shehu Shagari as the first executive president of Nigeria, his first lady was unknown. He ruled from the 1st of October to 3rd of December 1983.
6. Safinatu Buhari: General muhammadu Buhari ruled the country along side with his wife safinatu Buhari. He ruled between 1983-1985.
7. Mariam Babangida: The first military president of Nigeria was Ibrahim Babangida. He ruled the country alongside his beautiful wife from August 27 1985 to August 26 1993. She was the first wife of a Nigerian president to officially take on the role of a first lady.
8. Margaret Shoneken: The interim head of state from 26th August to 17th November 1993 was chief Ernest Shoneken. He ruled the country with the support of his wife Margaret Shoneken
9. Maryam Abacha: Her husband came into power in 1993 and he ruled till he died in the year 1998.
10. Justice Fatimah Abubakar: After the death of Abacha, General Abdulsalam Abubakar came to power in 1998.
11. Stella Obasanjo: Cheif Olusegun Obasanjo ruled Nigeria twice, but this time around he ruled a civilian president and he ruled along side Stella Obasanjo. Unfortunately for her, she died while her husband was still in power.
12. Turai Yar’adua: She was the wife of Alhaji Musa Yar’adua. Her husband became the president of Nigeria on the 29th of May 2007 and he died on the 5th of May 2010, making his tenure short. She was a very supportive wife then.
13. Patience Jonathan: After the death of Yar’adua, goodluck Ebele Jonathan came in as the president of Nigeria because he was the vice before Yar’adua’s dismissal. He ruled Nigeria alongside his wife patience Jonathan from May 5th 2010 to May 29, 2015.
14. Aisha Buhari: Just like Obasanjo, president buhari is ruling for the second time, but she(Aisha Buhari) is the first lady for the first time.